Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Technology is a wonderful thing

Hey readers

As most of you know, I love technology. I have an IPod, palm pilot, cellphone, laptop, and multiple computers. A gps and various other high tech toys, that I love to play with. I am fairly proficient on most of these devices. So when I moved to the DC metro area and signed up for cable, I got a deal on a DVR. This thing is cool man. Let me tell you what it can do. As I frequently must go to bed early, I record my favorite shows and watch them when I get home from work the next day. Well Monday night football featured America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys. Playing the Superbowl contenders, Eagles. I am a big fan, of the Cowboys. (mainly because of their cheerleaders, but I digress). Halftime, my eyes were heavy, and I knew I wasn't going to make it to the end. So I fired up this new gadget to record the end of the game. I programmed in the show, and let her rip. All day Tuesday I was able to avoid the other fans at work, mainly pesky Eagles fans. So when I got home, I started watching the game. Fast forwarding through all those dumb commercials and "TV Timeouts". Didn't take all that long to get towards the end. Now anybody who watched the game knows, the Cowboys were in trouble. They were unable to establish an effective run game, and the defense was bending, but not breaking. The Eagles controlled the hole game. Until the fourth quarter with five minutes left. The defense held the eagle to a fieldgoal, keeping them within 2 scores. Dallas mounts an effective drive down field and scores a touchdown. (Yeah team) The score is now 14 (Cowboys) and 20 (Eagles). There is just over four minutes left and the Cowboys kick off. With three timeouts remaining they believed the could get the ball back with time to score. Folks, this is a nail biter here, I am on the edge of my seat. The eagles get a less than stellar return, to somewhere around the 25 or 30 yard line. The first play from scrimmage is a short yardage run. THEN THE DARN DVR STOPS. STOPS I TELL YA. I look at the remote and the screen, and asks me if I want to watch from the beginning. THE BEGINNING. Heck, I just want to watch to the END. THE END. NOOOOOOOOO, it turns out that this modern marvel stops recording at its scheduled time, not its conclusion. I had to look online to find out that the very next play, the Cowboys intercepted the ball and ran it back for a touchdown. A WINNING TOUCHDOWN. 20 more sec and I would have seen it.

Any way, I have recovered from my disappointment, and from now on will record more time than required for a football game. Have a good night

Tronster

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Tronster! Hope all is well!

I'm crawling out from under my rock to tell you about a Very Cool feature of most DVRs-- Recording Options! This button allows you to select if the recording will stop on time or go over the scheduled time. This is extremely helpful during football season when many shows run late due to overtimes, etc. Give it a try!

Moved my Blog

 I have moved my Blog If you have landed on this page, you may have noticed that my blog has been relocated to a new host. While there are l...