Saturday, July 30, 2005

Moving Hints

I am sitting here watching my neighbors move out, heading to Kansas. I thought to myself, some people make moving more difficult than it has to be. I have moved a lot in my time, both being a Navy Brat and having an adventurous spirit. I thought I should share some advise. Some "Moving rules" You might say. Now these are more guidelines than rules, but things that help make moving less painful.

1. Never do a "pick up truck" move. The bed is to high and it makes for more work than required.
2. Use a U-Haul or something.
3. Put everything in a box. If its not in a box, it don't get moved
4. Label the afore mentioned boxes with what room they go in.
5. No, I mean NO, big boxes. People tend to stack encyclopedias in TV boxes and expect that they can move them.
6. Put the boxes in first. Stack them towards the cab. (labels out)
7. Put your box spring in to wedge the boxes
8. Place large framed art between the box spring and mattress.
9. Put furniture in next, using towels and blanket between the items.
10. Throw or give away things you haven't used in the last year. No need to move trash from one state to another.
11. When loading a dresser, remove the drawers, place dresser on truck and replace drawers. (no need to pack items inside dresser)
12. Put a trash can with bags on the end, that way you can throw trash out while unpacking.
13. Be generous to your help. ( buy them dinner or pizza or something)
14. Remember, "First thing in, is the Last thing out"
15. Have a plan.

I am a coffee drinker, so my coffee pot was in the front seat and that was the first thing we set up at the new place. We also planed to arrive at the destination, outside of the rush hour. If moving to an apartment complex. try to arrive in the middle of the day, it will allow you to get the best parking spot close to the door, and there won't be a lot of people around. (To get in the way or make a mental note on what kind of stuff you have in your house)

I hope this will help someone on their next great adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Troy,
Susan told me this week about your blog, and I am glad to read that things are going well. Things are pretty darn interesting here in NC. Melanie says hi...she misses FL terribly, but does not miss the heat. Take care! Deborah

Moved my Blog

 I have moved my Blog If you have landed on this page, you may have noticed that my blog has been relocated to a new host. While there are l...